Saturday, 24 May 2014

Friday Fantastics! 50s Planters

This week I have decided to do a post about the wonders that are 1950s Planters!  I can't get enough of them, and there are so many to choose from.  Of course, I love the most atomic, crazy ones of all - and have an obsession with 'bullet' planters. These are the planters that comprise of a spun fibreglass, plastic or ceramic 'bowl' that sits in all manner of sputnik-legged frames. Sometimes they are made of other materials, such as aluminium too.
I hate to say it again, but these particular kinds of planters are a rarity here in England.  In fact, I've never come across one yet!  I always say to myself that if I win the lottery they are one of the first things I am having shipped over! 



I confess I do love 50s planters/plant holders in all their forms.  I will do another post sometime about plant stands and plant pots, I am sure.

I will start with a few ceramic, figural planters.  I really love the variety you can get - tv lamps often had planters included, and once again in the US especially, you could come by a planter in practically any motif you so desired. 

First, it is well known that I love anything vintage fish-themed.  So this planter is my idea of 'cute', obviously!


And who wouldn't love a spaghetti poodle, that happens to be sporting the most snazzy of cat-eye sunglasses!


Golly - this flamingo planter is what dreams are made of!!


And oh what a crazy pussycat!


I just adore the shape and style of this one:


I would be so happy if I found a planter even slightly as cool as this hanging pagoda styled one someday!


And without a doubt, this is one of the best, like a mini shadowbox feature:


And now, on to the fantastic bullet planters I gushed about earlier...

















Well, apologies for the image-heavy post - I just couldn't help myself once I got going! ha ha.  I hope you're all having a lovely weekend, are any of you lucky enough to own any fabulous planters like these? 

No comments:

Post a Comment